[CLUE-Tech] Sendmail configuration questions

David Snyder snyderd at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 24 14:10:47 MST 2002

I have a little bit of a tricky email issue here.  Mindspring DSL is
locked down so that it will not allow any outgoing SMTP traffic from
anything other than their own mailserver.

This was done to thrwart spammers from using their dailups/DSL lines for
their black art.  Unfortunately it is also preventing me from having
logs sent to my main email address and also keeps me from using the
command line mail program.

I have been mucking with the /etc/sendmail.mc --> m4
/etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/sendmail.cf --> service sendmail restart
thing and trying the "SMARTHOST" feature to no avail.

Without the "SMARTHOST" lines, I get:
Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 550 Dialups/open relays blocked. Contact
<openrelay at abuse.earthlink.net>

With it, I get:
Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 550 rejected: cannot route to sender
<snyderd at Popeye.SnydersWeb.com>

I have been hunting for a good solution to this for a day or so, checked
groups.google.com, google.com, and the list archive and have not been
able to find a concise answer to this problem.

I have a feeling that part of the solution will involve a smarthost line
but I believe I am missing something or other.

Anyone here have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

David Snyder
http://www.snydersweb.com