[CLUE-Tech] Linux on i386

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 25 00:13:05 MST 2002

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Matthew Porter wrote:

> "Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier" <jbrockmeier at earthlink.net> wrote:
>

> > If you get it running, be sure to let us know -- it might
> > be of interest to others on the list.
>
> I'd certainly be interested.  I've got an old 386sx laptop I'd like to do
> something with, maybe turn it into a kitchen terminal to my Debian box.
> It's got 4 whole megs of RAM, but: the floppy drive doesn't work, there's
> no CD-ROM drive, and no network card.  I suppose I *could* try downloading
> Linux via the 2400 bps modem...

Does it have DOS or Windows installed now? If it has a serial port
you might be able to laplink the notebook to another computer and
put the install files on the harddrive... it would probably be a
several-step process, but faster than using a 2400 baud modem.

I'm not even sure if you can connect via a 2400 to regular ISPs anymore...

I've also seen connection kits for connecting notebook harddrives to
a standard IDE cable at computergeeks.com. You might be able to remove
the harddrive and do a basic installation that way, then replace it.

Might be more work than it's worth, but I've never been able to let
hardware sit unused. If it can still be made to do something useful,
semi-useful or at least fun...I'm compelled to set it up.

Take care,

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
http://www.DissociatedPress.net/
"Liberty's too precious a thing to be buried in books... Men
should hold it up in front of them every single day of their lives
and say: I'm free to think and to speak. My ancestors couldn't, I
can, and my children will. Boys ought to grow up remembering that."
"Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" -- James Stewart