[CLUE-Tech] Suse 7.3 Again

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 25 16:27:21 MST 2002

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Mike Staver wrote:

> Yeah, I miss the days of being to download an iso of a linux
> distribution. Fortunately, Red Hat still does it.

Yes, and I miss the days when the people making the distributions
could afford to do business. SuSE nearly sank a few months ago,
but they lucked out and got some more investment money. It won't
last forever.

I've had entirely too many friends who worked for Linux companies
lose their jobs lately. It does have an adverse effect on what kinds
of software and products we'll be seeing in the future -- SuSE has
made some excellent progress (as have others) towards making a very
usable installer and admin program. That costs money.

It's perfect legal to download ISOs or make copies of Linux CDs, but
it's the decent thing to do to throw some money back to the companies
who make that possible. If ease of use and the improvements that SuSE
(or Red Hat) put into a distro aren't worth the money, use Debian.
They're non-profit and have no employees to pay.

Anyway, that's my two-cents. Maybe I'm alone in feeling this way
because I've seen a lot of good people lose their jobs in the Linux
industry -- not all of them would have kept them if a larger number
of people had actually bought the software, but some of them would
have. I'm also sick of the image of Linux users being cheapskates
who just don't want to pay for anything.

Take care,

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
http://www.DissociatedPress.net/
"Liberty's too precious a thing to be buried in books... Men
should hold it up in front of them every single day of their lives
and say: I'm free to think and to speak. My ancestors couldn't, I
can, and my children will. Boys ought to grow up remembering that."
"Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" -- James Stewart