[CLUE-Tech] Easiest DHCP

David Willson DLWillson at TheGeek.NU
Sat Jan 26 10:56:23 MST 2002

---------------Zonker said-----------------------------
I'm also curious if anyone has hard evidence that the
"crackdown" is really going on -- Slashdot ran the story
based on "a friend of mine..." BS.

I'd like to see a letter or email from Comcast to a customer
telling them about this before I get in a tizzy about it.
-------------------so I said---------------------------
If you really want to know what your ISP considers fair and appropriate use
of their network, that is, if you really want to know ~exactly~ what product
you are paying for, find their terms-of-service on their web site, or in
your original signup package.  Look for the words "intended use".  With most
of the least-price packages, you will find that they expect you to be
connecting one (not four) workstation (not server) to their network on a
less than constant basis.  However, with the advent of "Internet Connection
Sharing" in Windows 98, and other tools specifically designed to defeat
their network design, I imagine they are growing more tolerant of, or
perhaps the phrase is 'resigned to', the fact that people will be using
their networks in "inappropriate" ways.
It is worth noting that with just about any business class package, the ISP
expects you to feed a LAN from the pipe you are given.  It is worth noting
that business class customers on Qwest's network are being left completely
alone.  I can't tell you how relieved I am to be among them.  It costs more,
but between static IPs (which I pay extra for), guilt-free connectivity for
up to ten workstations, and ~not~ having to go to MSN, it's worth it, I
think.