[CLUE-Tech] Qwest, DSL and Linux/BSD?

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Mon Jul 1 00:17:44 MDT 2002

On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 11:51:36PM -0600, Timothy C. Klein wrote:

> > The 678 is basically an updated version of the 675. It has a web
> > interface, but you're strongly urged to disable it for security reasons.
> > Maybe it would be alright to use that just for the initial setup,
> > though.
> >

> Aside from some minor software upgrades, there is actually one crucial
> difference between the Cisco 675 and 678:  the 675 uses CAP line
> encoding, and the 678 uses DMT.

Almost. To be more precise, the 675 can only use CAP, while the 678 can
use either CAP or DMT, depending on the firmware. I found that out last
year when Qwest sent me one with the wrong firmware installed. That's
why it took 6 weeks to get set up.

> That is how the DSL signal is stuffed
> onto the wire.  It would be mostly academic, *except*, Qwest no longer
> deploys the CAP encoded lines.  All new DSL is DMT.  So, in short,
> unless your service in grandfathered, you have to now use the 678.  So
> if you look for one used, you have to get the 678 for new service.

... and make sure it has DMT firmware. You can find out by telnetting in
to it and entering the command 'show version'. For example:

  cbos>show version

  Cisco Broadband Operating System
  CBOS (tm) 678 Software (C678-I-M), Version v2.4.1 - Release Software
  Compiled Dec  8 2000 09:45:11
  DMT FULL firmware version G96
  NVRAM image at 0x1030a9a0

  cbos>

If you have the wrong version, you should be able to download an upgrade
from Qwest (hmm ... I should probably do that too ... I think CBOS is up
to version 2.4.3 or so by now).

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA