[CLUE-Tech] CLUE: DSL - PCISYS

Randy Arabie rrarabie at arabie.org
Wed Jul 3 18:14:05 MDT 2002

On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, Timothy C. Klein wrote:

> * Randy Arabie (rrarabie at arabie.org) wrote:
> >
> > That's good advice.  For quite a while I was logging my CISCO 678 info
> > via syslog and trying to track down the cause for my disconnects.  I have
> > concluded that my problems are likley the result of multiple splices in
> > the line between my router and the point where the line comes into my home.
> >
> > I've been told that the best way to fix my problems is put in a DSL splitter
> > at that point, and from there run a 'dedicated' run to my router.
> > --
>
> Those would just amount to really short bridge-taps.  DSL is spec-ed to
> allow something like 1500 or 2000 feet of bridge tap and be OK.  Doesn't
> seem like there would be enough length for the signal to reflect, get
> out of phase, and cancel signal when it comes back.  Is you your house
> *really* big? :-)  Or am I missing something.  Just curious.

Sounds like you know a lot more about it than I do...I don't have any idea
what a bridge tap is.

No, my house isn't very large.  The run from the 'demarc box' where my phone
line comes inside to where I have my CISCO 678 is only 20'.  However, there is
some 'old' phone line for a little ways, then a splice with some new
line, then another splice which terminates where I have my CISCO 678.

I've read, and been told, that each of those splices degrades the quality of my
signal and *could* be the cause of my problems.  I read that on some website a
few months back....can't recall the URL just now.  And, I was talking with a
guy (who is NOT a DSL authority) that had a 'professional' installation. He
said that was the recommended method (i.e. a splitter at the 'demarc box' and a
dedicated line to the DSL 'modem').

I can't vouch for the accuracy of that info, but it sounded plausible to me.
--
Cheerio!

Randy