[CLUE-Tech] locking screen with gnome

Randy Arabie rrarabie at arabie.org
Sun Jul 7 21:57:28 MDT 2002

On Sun, 7 Jul 2002, Jason Friedman wrote:

> Second, how do I lock the screen, such that one would need to type a
> password to get control of the screen/keyboard?  Clicking on Lock
> doesn't seem to do anything.

While I'm not running RH or gnome, I do have this advice.

Check the command that is run when you "click" the lock.  Try running
it at the command line. If it isn't working, you should get some feedback
at the command line that will help you resolve the problem.

The window manager/desktop I'm using (xfce) has a lock function which
utilizes the xscreensaver.  When the lock button is "clicked", the xflock
command is run.  xflock won't work unless your xscreensaver deamon is
running first.
--
Cheerio!

Randy