[CLUE-Tech] kernel compile

Mark Cuny clue at stardyne.org
Tue Jul 9 14:28:41 MDT 2002

On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, Jed S. Baer wrote:
> I'm curious what distro (apparently) comes without the install target in
> the makefile. That sounds like a buggered-up makefile to me. IIRC, when I
> make install, there are a couple of steps other than the copy of the
> kernel image to the boot location. I think the System.map gets regenerated
> (and I note that the backup copies of older System.map files are different
> sizes than my current one). OTOH, I used to just copy the new image to my
> boot directory, and never had trouble doing it that way.
>
> If there is a distro having a makefile without an install target, well, I
> dunno. I once read through all the source for the shell scripts that
> perform the install step. Authorship by Linux Torvalds, maybe Alan Cox
> too, so I'd suspect they're part of even a vanilla kernel distribution.

I've never used kernel sources from a distribution, so I'm not sure
which ones do or don't come with the install section for the Makefile.
I download the kernel sources from kernel.org and the Makefile from
these sources don't come with an install: section.

I would assume that the main reason for this is that the kernel
sources from kernel.org are generic to be used on any Linux
distribution (or homemade distribution), and there are differing file
system structures and names in place for each.

- Mark