[CLUE-Tech] Oracle and compression

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Sat Jul 13 11:22:53 MDT 2002

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002 12:43:12 -0600
Sean Reifschneider <jafo-nclug at tummy.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 02:12:43PM -0400, Adam Bultman wrote:
> >Will oracle get angry if I do that? If I trash my database tomorrow,
> >will it get angry that I compressed the files?  Obviously, they'll be
>
> There are two kinds of backups: tested ones and worthless ones...
> Something like 70% of the initial backup audits we do for our clients
> find problems that would have prevented some of their data from being
> recovered.
>
> So, don't ask here if they're going to work -- test them and write down
> what you had to do so that you *KNOW* that you can recover them.
>
> Minority shareholder lawsuits for lack of due dilligence are ugly.  ;-/

Thanks Sean, for pointing that out. One of those things that, often, goes
unsaid because as a practical matter, many of us are just used to the
principle. I assumed that Adam would test out whatever solution he
devised.

There's a sort-of interesting side-issue to this as well, that of
liability WRT the success of newsgroups and mailing lists for "community"
technical support. None of us who participate in such fora are very
concerned about being sued because our advice on a topic wound up damaging
something, because of the implicit understanding that responsibility rests
in the person implementing whatever. But I do have an extremely vague
memory of some litigation over it, but it's one of those fleeting neural
impulses that vanishes when you try to pin it down.

jed
--
We're frogs who are getting boiled in a pot full of single-character
morphemes, and we don't notice. - Larry Wall; Perl6, Apocalypse 5