[CLUE-Tech] cable modem question

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at attbi.com
Sun Jul 14 08:35:38 MDT 2002

On 07-13 20:23, Brandon N wrote:

> --- Mike Staver <staver at fimble.com> wrote:

<snip>

> Be wary of AT&T tech support though, they practice voodoo
> troubleshooting.  Before I got through to the backline, I had to:
>
> 1. Shut down my computer.
> 2. Unplug *both ends* of the ethernet cable.
> 3. Unplug the modem power cord.
> 4. Wait one minute while dancing a jig and hailing the tech gods.
> 5. Plug in the ethernet cable (both ends).
> 6. Restart the computer.
> 7. Plug in the modem.
>
> Ok, so I made up #4, but the rest is true.  I asked the tech why I had
> to unplug both ends of the ethernet cable, he said it made a
> difference.  I just laughed and humored him, it does no good to argue
> with them, and I figured I got a little comedy out of it.

Heh. I've had my dose of comedy with their tech support too. On a call
about their DNS server(s) being broken or inaccessible:

Me: "Well, I can ping by the IP address, but I can't ping by name, so..."
Tech: "Wait, what's 'ping'?"
Me: <Pause of disbelief>...<chuckle>..."Well...."

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at bigfoot.com
NOTE: My ISP will be changing soon. Please use bigfoot.com.