[CLUE-Tech] Moving files from one system to another

Keith Hellman kehellman at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 17 19:01:14 MDT 2002

Do the following in the root of the directory you want the contents
transferred out of/into (on both boxes, destination and source).
You can obviously provide additional tar commands
at your own discretion, and this assumes you've got networking up.

destsys>nc -l -p 5000 |tar xzpf -
srcsys>tar czf - ./ |nc DESTSYS_IP 5000

nc is the all powerful 'netcat' program.  It's sometimes available as
'netcat' instead of 'nc'.  Do nc -h for option details.

I like the above approach because you don't have to:
* be admin on both boxes
* fuss with nfs
* fuss with .rhosts, ssh keys, or the phase of the moon...
* fuss with anything, it simply does what-cha want ;^)

HTH

--- bof <bof at pcisys.net> wrote:
> I have about 6 GB of files on one system that I would like to move to
> another. Both systems have ethernet cards and I have a crossover cable.
>
> What would be the easiest way to do this?
>
> BOF

=====
Keith E. Hellman
kehellman at yahoo.com