[CLUE-Tech] Mandrake menus disappeared

Jeffery Cann jc_cann at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 21 09:27:33 MDT 2002

Greetings.

I was restoring some things off of a tape backup and my /tmp directory, mounted
on / ran out of space.  A few moments later, I reconfigured my K Taskbar and my
KDE menu items disappeared during the current session. I am not sure if it was
related to the /tmp issue, unless KDE was storing data there and my K Taskpar
preference changes caused the data to be lost when it tried to write to a full
filesystem.

After checking around and getting some helpful error messages when I tried to
launch a program from a KDE icon, I noticed that /usr/share/applnk-mdk/ was
empty!  As some folks have noted / complained, MDK has an alternative view of
KDE menus, different from the defaults provided by kde in /usr/share/applnk.
Menu items were still in /usr/share/applnk.  (BTW - my /usr directory is
mounted on a separate partition from / and it was only 2% utilitized.)

So, to fix the problem, I ran 'menudrake' as root and saved the menu
configuration as it was loaded.  This immediately restored my menu items in the
current session.

Bizarre indeed.  I am posting this observation simply for reference but also to
solicit other suggestions on the cause of this problem / obsecure bug?

Jeff

=====
Protect Digital Rights!
http://www.eff.org/support/joineff-cc.html