[CLUE-Tech] Stopping freakin' spam on the mailman lists

charlie oriez coriez at oriez.org
Tue Jul 23 21:24:35 MDT 2002

On Tuesday 23 July 2002 21:07, Matt Gushee wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 08:41:42PM -0600, charlie oriez wrote:
> > third option - there are challenge/response systems out there.
> > somedec.com over in Aurora is using one, though I dont remember the name.
> >  Most spam arrives with forged from/reply-to headers (big surprise,
> > right?).  When you get mail from an unknown source, your system
> > autoreplies asking for a live person to respond.
>
> Hmm ... I've no doubt those systems are effective in reducing spam, but
> from what I have seen they present a *very* unfriendly face to the
> world--kind of the digital equivalent of surrounding your house with
> signs reading "Beware of Dog" and "No Trespassing. That Means You!". Not
> that it bothers me terribly, since I've been around for a while and am
> accustomed to the crusty ways of geekdom. But I think it might alienate
> quite a few newbies, and I personally don't believe that the benefit of
> slightly better spam protection is worth that cost.
>
> Of course, it may be that the unwelcoming messages I've seen were simply
> boilerplate, and they could be made substantially more pleasant with a
> little bit of editing.

I don't use them myself, or for that matter see them as the preferred option.
They are nevertheless an option.  IMO, using osirusoft coupled with bouncing
for invalid rdns is adequate.

the somedec challenge message was reasonably pleasant and non offensive, and
its purpose was fairly clear.  OTOH, I think it would leave my mother
terribly confused and hurt that I was rejecting her mail.

But then, I hang out on usenet, so by definition I have thick skin.  If
someone sent me an email calling me an ass-hole my only response would
probably be a spelling flame.

Charles Oriez     coriez at oriez.org
39  34' 34.4"N / 105 00' 06.3"W
**
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes