[CLUE-Tech] United Linux

Collins erichey2 at attbi.com
Sat Jun 1 06:18:50 MDT 2002

[ snips ]

On Fri, 31 May 2002 23:39:45 -0600 Joe Linux <joelinux at earthlink.net>
wrote:
> At first I thought it was a great idea, but now that I've read a
> little more it seems like it should be called Loser's United Linux.
> If you look at who has joined together, it's all the distributions
> that don't have much success with average users ... none of them
> have cut it.  At the moment, I feel Mandrake is best, but in the
> long run we "hobbyists" who are interested in an alternative to M$
> could end up moving to pure Debian.
>
> Jeffery Cann wrote:
>
> >On Thursday 30 May 2002 09:13 am, Crawford Rainwater wrote:
> >
> >>This is a combined effort of Caldera, SuSE, Turbo,
> >>and Conectiva distributions.
> >>

> ><snip>
> >
> >I didn't realize there are per-seat licenses.
> >
> >RMS and the FSF are opposed:
> > +
> > http://www.linuxandmain.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=83
> >
> >Anyone else for / against the per seat proposal?

At first glance I would say that anything RMS opposes can't be all
bad, but he's probably right this one time.

There have been many laughs and man #@!& comments in postings on the
linux-users group about what we call the "unitedyawnix" offering.
Although it is dstro neutral today, linux-users had its origins in the
Caldera users group.  We split off when Caldera announced its initial
per-seat licensing policy and in the process basically abandoned its
loyal users.

We're pretty well convinced that the failed Caldera strategy will drag
down any one that aligns themself with Caldera.  The tarbaby
principle?  Even more appropriate might be the sound of a toilet
flushing - there won't be much left after a while.

There are plenty of good choices in the linux world.  You pays you
money (hopefully very little) and you takes you chances(you chances
are looking pretty good).

RedHat, Debian, Mandrake, ELX, Slackware, Gentoo, maybe even Lycoris.

Any of these can provide you with a good linux experience.  No one
needs "unitedyawnix", free or otherwise.

I'm firmly in the gentoo camp (so much so that one wag on linux-users
has called it the "collinstoo" distro), but you can get there with one
of the other distros.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area - WWTLRD?
gentoo(since 01/01/01) 2.4.18+(ext3) xfce-sylpheed-mozilla