[CLUE-Tech] Request for Proposal

Todd A. Gibson tgibson at augustcouncil.com
Tue Jun 4 11:42:29 MDT 2002

Who:  A non-profit company near Colorado Blvd. and Leetsdale.
What: Office of 10-20 people with Windows desktops and a Linux server.
Why:  They've received 2 proposals, but neither shows any Linux competency.

Hello everyone,
I'm over extended so I can't do it, but I said I would send their RFP to some
folks I knew could do it (that's you!).  As mentioned above, the office is
comprised mostly of Windows machines.  They use a Linux server as a firewall
(they have a DSL connection) and a file server.  The Linux box might also act
as a print server, though I'm not sure.

The stability of their individual Windows machines has degraded over time.
They would like two things:

1) A person/company to come in and conduct a detailed analysis of what they've
   got, and recommendations of what they should do.

2) Same person/company to maintain their systems and provide general support.

If I were to do it, as part of my analysis I would have examined the
viability of dropping Windows in favor of Linux with Open Office and
Ximian tools, or something similar.  I don't know whether dropping
Windows is a viable option.  They're using Outlook for their group
calendaring, etc. (when it isn't crashing on them).

If your are interested looking at their RFP, send me an email and I'll
send you a copy.  I can answer some questions about their current setup.
They of course can answer questions as well, though they won't be
able to answer highly technical questions.

The deadline for responding to the RFP is this Friday.

Thanks!
-TAG