[CLUE-Tech] Debian package build problem

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Wed Jun 5 11:18:24 MDT 2002

Hi, folks--

Anybody have much experience building Debian packages? I am trying to
build ViM 6.1 on two machines running Potato. The first one went fine,
and produced the following packages:

    vim-gtk_6.1.048-1_i386.deb
    vim-perl_6.1.048-1_i386.deb
    vim-python_6.1.048-1_i386.deb
    vim-ruby_6.1.048-1_i386.deb
    vim-tcl_6.1.048-1_i386.deb
    vim_6.1.048-1_i386.deb

On the second machine, compilation seems to succeed with no fatal
errors, but then the first package (plain 'vim') gets built, and then
I get a series of errors saying:

   dpkg-gencontrol: warning: unknown substitution variable \
   ${dpkg:Version}
   dpkg-deb: parse error ...

[sorry, this is on my other box, otherwise I'd just cut & paste ]

And finally:

   dpkg-genchanges: failure: cannot open upload file \
   ../vim-gtk_6.1.048-1_i386.deb for reading: No such file or directory

Anbody know how to troubleshoot this? I think I may have different
versions of the packaging utilities on the two machines, but other than
that I have no idea what to do.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA