[CLUE-Tech] Apocalypse5 and regular expressions in Perl

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Wed Jun 5 18:09:46 MDT 2002

Anyone who uses regular expressions regularly (such as in cool vi tricks),
and also programs in Perl, will probably not want to miss the latest
Apocalypse (or wait for Damians's Exegesis).

Well, I'm up to page 6, so that's what his link is from:

  http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/06/04/apo5.html?page=6

"Perhaps the most radical change is that I've taken [...] away from
character classes and made it the non-capturing grouping operator"

When I read Larry's explanations of why various things are good/bad,
sometimes my eyes glaze over. Being a person who often whips up
quick/dirty on-the-fly awk to get various things done, I dunno how I feel
about keeping two regex idioms in my head. Up until now (err, the future
WRT Perl), the issue with regexes in various places has been a more/less
consideration, not "different".

But when he starts talking about sigils, well, I guess Perl code can often
resemble arcane incantations. ;-)

jed
--
We're frogs who are getting boiled in a pot full of single-character
morphemes, and we don't notice. - Larry Wall; Perl6, Apocalypse 5