[CLUE-Tech] Strange file changes

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Thu Jun 6 11:55:40 MDT 2002

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002 11:30:40 -0700
"Kurt Sturm" <hezzdown at globalynk2000.com> wrote:

> > I think the problem is probably related to the fact that Mandrake has
> > implemented a common menu system throughout all the various windowing
> > managers.  Perhaps changing your security settings will inhibit the
> > system from hijacking and terrorizing your work.
>
> Thanks but my security is already set to high. Really not sure what is
> going on but I am determined to get to the bottom of it. I will
> definitly do as you suggested and make a back up copy of my work and
> rename it. This way the"next" time it happens it will be easier to
> restore.

Hehe.

/etc/cron.d/cron.minute

  tar -zxvf /backup/custom_menus.tgz

Reminds me that the last time I tried to live with Gnome, I gave up when I
found out that as a "normal" user, there were parts of the menu I couldn't
modify - not even to just say "I don't need to see these". Yeah, I think I
could sort of push them off into a corner. Reminded me exactly of the
Windoze "common user" cruft you get with NT. Shouldn't surprise me, I
guess, given that one of the apparent goals of Gnome is to provide M$
"functionality". Which is fine if you want it, but only if you can turn it
off when you don't.

jed
--
We're frogs who are getting boiled in a pot full of single-character
morphemes, and we don't notice. - Larry Wall; Perl6, Apocalypse 5