Oracle is his Thang Was:Re: [CLUE-Tech] set user id of script

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Thu Jun 6 12:32:52 MDT 2002

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002 13:58:47 -0400 (EDT)
Adam Bultman <adamb at glaven.org> wrote:

> So Jed, you say oracle is your thing?

Well, it was, last I was employed.

> Okay, I might take advantage of that re: backups and restores, which I'm
<snip>
> file backup.  I haven't needed it yet (whew!) but I REALLY need to get
> table-by table backups running.  The only piece of the puzzle that I'm
> missing is the Oracle Management Server.  I dont' seem to have that

The short version is if you want per-table backups, use export. You can
set up a "control" file to hold all the parameters, including a table
list, for the export. Make sure you read about read-consistent exports,
and decide if you need those, or you can trust the database to be
quiescent during them (or alter the database to be read-only during
exports, or set the tablespaces readonly).

The long version isn't really appropriate for this list, and quite
honestly, I'd hope for a few consulting bucks to really set you up right.
But other than that, you really want to read/understand archive log mode,
and look at using RMAN, if your data is important. Your cold backups or
nightly exports will worst-case lose the day's worth of data if you have a
crash. There's lots of backup solutions for Windoze which will integrate
with RMAN. I'm primarily a Unix weenie though. I guess I should make the
obligatory crack that if you really care about your data, you get it off a
Windoze box ;-).

Feel free to e-mail me off list.

Later,
jed
--
We're frogs who are getting boiled in a pot full of single-character
morphemes, and we don't notice. - Larry Wall; Perl6, Apocalypse 5