[CLUE-Tech] Re: Mutt [Was: Replys with broken HTML]

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Sun Jun 9 12:46:03 MDT 2002

On Sun, 9 Jun 2002 09:56:39 -0600
Sean LeBlanc <seanleblanc at attbi.com> wrote:

> Thanks, this works like a champ, and I can now read email from the
> uncaring and the ignorant...not that it's always worth the effort. Now,
> if I could just get a macro to put top-posts into the correct format. :)
> Who knows, maybe one exists. I may even ask on the Mutt mailing list.

I was just recently musing about how easy/difficult it would be to write a
mailing list manager that would automate things like this. Maybe a plugin
for GNU/Mailman. Parsing incoming mail which doesn't go through some
centralized facility, like a list manager, would be pretty tough, I think,
given the variance in quoting styles. But a list manager could introduce
some sort of delimiters, which would then be much easier to parse.
Stripping HTML has already been done in GPL'd code, such as whatever
Sylpheed uses. Dropping the extraneous HTML part from those mailers set to
"send both HTML and plain text" (what an abomination that is) might be as
easy as dumping everything after the first piece of a MIME-encapsulated
message.

--
We're frogs who are getting boiled in a pot full of single-character
morphemes, and we don't notice. - Larry Wall; Perl6, Apocalypse 5