[CLUE-Tech] Strange file changes

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Mon Jun 10 18:25:51 MDT 2002

Kurt Sturm wrote:

> Then later in the day I came back and the
> shortcuts that I added to the menu were gone!! I went back and looked at
> the files and they were just as they were before I edited them!! What is
> going on here? I looked for backup files the system may be using and did
> not find anything. Any ideas?

It looks like Mandrake has a system it uses to build menus based on what
packages are installed.  Did you add or remove anything between editing
the menu and its reversion?

Look at the man pages for update-menu and menufiles.  The approved way
to make local changes is in /etc/menu or ~/.menu.  The menus should only
be rebuilt when packages change, and local mods shouldn't be affected.

BTW, looks like this is the way Debian does things too.