[CLUE-Tech] Re: Debian packages (was: SSH on Debian)

Dale Hawkins dhawkins at cdrgts.com
Tue Jun 11 07:47:40 MDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-06-10 at 08:26, David Anselmi wrote:
> "apt-get install ssh" is all it's ever taken for me to get ssh working.
> It even starts the server for you.  Looks like the current package is
> called ssh-krb5 though.
>
> You can also use dselect and search for ssh to see all the other
> packages that are related.  Or use the web page to search for the right

There are a couple of other ways to do this as well.  The apt-cache
program is very nice for searching:

$ apt-cache search ssh

Or for the truly lazy, there is always auto-apt.  This package will put
you into a shell and anytime you type a command which is not found,
auto-apt will go ahead and install the necessary packages.

The description of auto-apt:

auto-apt - package search by file and on-demand package installation
tool

 auto-apt checks the file access of programs running within its
 environments, and if a program tries to access a file known to
 belong in an uninstalled package, auto-apt will install that
 package using apt-get.  This feature requires apt and sudo to work.
 .
 It also provides simple database to search which package contains
 a requesting file.

-Dale

BTW, I have only become Debian devotee within the last two or three
years.  I used to use RedHat and before that, slackware.  I was saddened
to see Progeny go up in smoke (sadden, but not surprised).  Progeny did
a nice job cleaning up the installation process and adding some nice
tools to Debian.

Anybody else out there _creating_ Debian packages?  I am still
considering becoming a maintainer, but a local guru could speed up the
process.

--
Now playing:
01-part_one-edward_meets_the_world-introduction_(titles)

Better to have endured moments of sheer terror, than to have died having
lived life a coward.

A good solution now is better than a perfect solution tomorrow.
- From debian-curiosa

Payin' the bills with my mad programming skills.
- Weird Al