[CLUE-Tech] ldconfig & ld question.

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Tue Jun 11 11:18:16 MDT 2002

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 04:43:58PM +0000, anselmi at americanisp.net wrote:
> This occurs on a SuSE 7.3 system with glibc 2.2.4
>
> I have a library, libXi.so.6.0.  I use ldconfig to set up the cache and links,
> and it makes a libXi.so.6 link to my library.
>
> When compiling a particular program, the linker is invoked as ld -lXi and it
> tries to find libXi.so but not libXi.so.6 (if I make the libXi.so link by hand,
> the linker finds it and dies on the next library).

If it dies on the next library, then there must be something wrong with
the next library, wouldn't you say?

> I seem to remember on an LFS system I built that ldconfig would make a libXi.so
> link.
>
> So, how can I get ldconfig to generate a libXi.so link?  Or, how can I get ld
> to recognize libXi.so.6 as the file it needs?

I don't know if ldconfig on Linux can do that. Most people install 'foo-dev'
(or 'foo-devel', depending on the distro) to get those .so links. But I
don't see any reason why you can't create them by hand. A symlink is a
symlink.

Or have I missed your point?

Oh, wait a minute. If you create a link by hand, you need to run
ldconfig so the system will find it. Package managers (or maybe it's
post-install scripts) usually take care of that for you. Did you do
that?

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA