[CLUE-Tech] Update on file changes

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Fri Jun 14 17:17:57 MDT 2002

Kurt Sturm wrote:

>         I am not sure who posted it, but you were absolutely correct. I have
> come to find out the reason my custom menus were changing back to their
> original state is that when I added a new program via an rpm file and it
> updated the menus, it goes back to original form.
>
> Now I just have to figure out how to stop this from happening anymore.

That was me.  Glad it worked.  As I said before:

"Look at the man pages for update-menu and menufiles.  The approved way
to make local changes is in /etc/menu or ~/.menu.  The menus should only
be rebuilt when packages change, and local mods shouldn't be affected."

The menu in /etc/X11/whatever gets rebuilt by the package installer (so
you get menus for new programs).  The /etc/menu file overrides this for
the whole system, and ~/.menu does likewise for individual users.

I don't know how the various menu files interact--whether locals hide
globals or there's a merge algorithm.  But a little diff and some
scripting and you should be able to tell when your local menu needs
updating.