[CLUE-Tech] eth0 keeps dropping, whats up with that?

Adam Bultman adamb at glaven.org
Tue Jun 18 06:56:15 MDT 2002

I think you've found the tulip bug.  What kernel are you running? There's
a host of netgear cards out there that coompletely shut down after x
amount of traffic has passed them.  You can check dmesg if you want, to
see if there are any messages. If there are none, then likely you have the
tulip bug. If you push traffic over the interface, you'll find it probably
drops a lot quicker.  On one of my servers here at work (internal file
server) when I converted it to linux, I had cron shutdown and restart the
interface every 5 minutes, because I pushed a lot of traffic.  You can
download the 'patch', although I went and spent the 15 bucks on a new NIC
for the box instead of fooling with that (I've had more than my fill).

Your new distro may not have the patch, or may have a kernel that has the
bug in it.  The new netgear (FA311) use the natsemi driver, and don't have
the problem. In fact, they are really good cards (although don't come
close to competing with my 3c980B and my Intel NICs

ADam

--
Adam Bultman
adam at glaven.org