[CLUE-Tech] RPM dependencies on RedHat

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Tue Jun 18 22:12:24 MDT 2002

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 09:35:21PM -0600, Match Grun wrote:
> Nedit is built with Motif. You may need the Motif/Lesstif libraries
> before you start the install.

You should be able to get a static build. I think that's what I got.
If my experience is any guide, you might be better off with that anyway.
I've never gotten a Motif application to work without precisely the
right version of Lesstif--and it's not always easy to find out which
version that is.

> "Friedman, Jason" <Jason.Friedman at janus.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to install Nedit, a package promised to be a better vim.

... better ... vim? That's the weirdest idea I've heard all week. Now if
you said, "better editor," well, different strokes. But if you're hoping
for something like Vim, only better, I think you'll be disappointed.
IMHO Nedit is about as unlike Vim as an editor can be (except for Emacs,
maybe).

Whoever told you that musta was on drugz.

> > When I type rpm -ivh Nedit..., the response is the missing dependencies:
> > such-and-such.rpm
> > somefile.o
> >
> > I know how to find the missing rpm.  How do I find the missing .o file?

Are you sure the extension is .o? That would be a very weird thing to
need for a binary package, unless it's a kernel module. But why would an
editor require a kernel module? Do you know the exact file name?

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA
mgushee at havenrock.com