[CLUE-Tech] Backup media and programs opinions?

Adam Bultman adamb at glaven.org
Wed Jun 26 06:45:31 MDT 2002

I use BRU.  I tried amanda, but I found it most confusing.  I don't like
the idea of tarring into a directory and then moving that to tape,
initially.  I don't know if there are repair tools for tarballs, but still
-- I'm not a fan.  Plus, making the conf files were very arcane.  I also
tried something else, whose name eludes me.  BRU is my choice.  It writes
the catalog to the media, does integrity checking after it's done, and
handles multiple volumes.  It has a 'front end', although it's easier just
to start it command line and watch for tape prompts.  It hasn't failed me
yet, and lets me know when I'm getting tape errors, so I can switch out
tapes.  I don't know how old of a version I'm using, but new ones are
pretty pricey.

--
Adam Bultman
adam at glaven.org