[CLUE-Tech] Motherboards (Michael Burton)

Richard Knechtel rknech at pcisys.net
Thu Jun 27 07:44:02 MDT 2002

At 12:45 PM 6/26/02 -0600, you wrote:
>How necessary is it really to have a "compatible" motherboard?  I am
>shopping and it has been exremely hard to find what I want, that is also
>LINUX compatible.
>
>Michael

I and my father have used SuperMicro Mobo's with linux and man they work
perfectly. Mine has onboard SCSI and RAID support and Linux works great
with it. I picked up an SuperMicro PSDBU (Dual CPU and up to 1 GIG ram,
SCSI (includs LVD drive support), RADI support), USB) Cost me about $380 a
little pricy but it is more of a server motherboard. But Linux saw both my
CPU's and automatically compiled an SMP kernal for me at install time. It
also automatically saw the SCSI and installed the right drivers.
You can find less exspensive SuperMicro Boards. I use (www.mwave.com) for
all my ordering, they have a decent selection of Mobo's and they sell
mobo/CPU bundles.