[CLUE-Tech] Qwest, DSL and Linux/BSD?

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Sun Jun 30 23:51:36 MDT 2002

* Matt Gushee (mgushee at havenrock.com) wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 10:31:33PM -0600, Dennis Pickering wrote:
>
> > >2. Is the Cisco 678 easy to set up for certain incoming services like SSH?
> > >Do you just forward to a box that handle SSH?
> >
> > I did that for port 80 on the 675. Had to read carefully but once I get it,
> > it was easy. (Hopefully the 678 has a friendly web interface with
> > (pinholing)
>
> The 678 is basically an updated version of the 675. It has a web
> interface, but you're strongly urged to disable it for security reasons.
> Maybe it would be alright to use that just for the initial setup,
> though.

Aside from some minor software upgrades, there is actually one crucial
difference between the Cisco 675 and 678:  the 675 uses CAP line
encoding, and the 678 uses DMT.  That is how the DSL signal is stuffed
onto the wire.  It would be mostly academic, *except*, Qwest no longer
deploys the CAP encoded lines.  All new DSL is DMT.  So, in short,
unless your service in grandfathered, you have to now use the 678.  So
if you look for one used, you have to get the 678 for new service.

Tim