[CLUE-Tech] PHP escaping characters

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Fri Mar 1 18:23:53 MST 2002

On Fri, 01 Mar 2002 18:01:40 -0700
Steve Fry <clue at ir3w.com> wrote:

> Somewhere after you capture the variable - or before you output it
> (experiment with this) - use the tag called "stripslashes" like this:
>
> Ex.  value=\"stripslashes($yourname)\"
>
> http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.stripslashes.php

Thanks Steve.

Uh, one question though. I see here, and on the php.net site, that I'm
supposed to be able to embedd function calls in text. But when I try it,
the variable gets set to "stripslashes(Duncan O\'Malley)".

This is going to get really ugly if I have to do, e.g.:

$foo = " value=\"" . stripslashed($yourname) . "\"";

I note that the forms I've done using Perl/CGI don't have this problem. So
I wonder what it is PHP is thinking behind the scenes.
--
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men,
 undergo the fatigue of supporting it."