[CLUE-Tech] PHP escaping characters

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Fri Mar 1 20:01:59 MST 2002

On Fri, 1 Mar 2002 18:54:19 -0700
Jeffery Cann <fabian at jefferycann.com> wrote:

Fabian,

> Have a look at the magic_quotes_* configuration variable for php.  This
> config variable is where you control such things like escaping of
> characters.
>  In particular, I think you need to turn on magic_quotes_sybase to stop
> the
> escaping of apostrophes.  For details:
>
> http://www.php.net/manual/en/configuration.php

Yep. Or, turn magic_quotes_gpc (get/post/cookie) off. Prollum is what
those folks over at invite.net (who haven't responded to my e-mail yet)
have set.

Looking at the user comments:
  http://www.php.net/manual/ro/function.get-magic-quotes-gpc.php
it would seem caution dictates the use of both stripslashes and
htmlspecialchars. Over at phpbuilder, an article advises using
htmlspecialchars anyway, to guard against malicious content in user-input
text.

> The suggested stripslashes() will work too, but why write code when you
> can
> do it with a configuration change?  :-p

Cuz I don't control the php.ini on the server. ;-(

I noticed also the suggestion to set php config values in the .htaccess
file, but this doesn't work here at home.

I think I'm gonna rewrite that ugly thing (which I intended to do anyway,
I just whacked it out to get it done - I'd hoped - quickly). Per Steve's
suggestion:

function printform {
?>
  // form stuff
  <?php code to fiddle with stuff ?>
  // more form stuff
<?php
}

Or just write a loop to iterate over the post variables and fix them
before anything else happens.

jed

--
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men,
 undergo the fatigue of supporting it."