[CLUE-Tech] Router / firewall configuration

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Tue Mar 5 21:45:14 MST 2002

Greetings.

I have a router / firewall combo that is the gateway between my LAN and the
cable modem.  The router executes NAT for internet access of the clients on
my LAN.

So, I want to have some of my colleagues access my CVS repository on my Linux
box, within my LAN (i.e., behind the hardware firewall).

I have open sshd running on port 22, so I set up a virtual server:

Private IP: 192.168.0.8
Private port: 22
Type:  TCP
Public port: 22

I can sucessfully login as $ ssh jccann at localhost

However, when I try to $ ssh jccann at 12.254.x.x, it just appears to hang and I
see no activity in my Linux server logs.  If I remove the virtual server
setting and try the ssh to the IP address again, I get the following output:

Secure connection to 12.254.x.x refused.

I also see no activity in the server, so I assume that the firewall is
prohibiting access.  The other configuration options are:

'Special applications' -- I tried the same configuration as the virtual
server with the same results.

Virtual DMZ -- I don't really have a problem with this, but I would rather
not have to reconfigure a firewall on my Linux box if I set it up as the DMZ.
 Plus, information on this Linux box is sensitive, so placing it in a DMZ
would seem unwise.

The router / firewall is a Siemens SpeedStream 2614.  I appreciate any
suggestions on configuration -- even if you don't have a Siemens, but some
other router / firewall hardware combo.

Thanks
Jeff