[CLUE-Tech] (In)Stability of X?

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 6 01:03:07 MST 2002

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, David Snyder wrote:

> Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:

Please be careful when quoting -- the way this mail was quoted
it made it look as if I had written the following, when what I
actually wrote was way down below.

> Here's something that's wierd.  I have a Gateway P3-850 w/512MB RAM and
> an SB Live Platinum.  I am running RH 7.2 and Ximian Gnome.  Under that
> configuration I have had problems with total system lockups (no
> ctrl-alt-bkspc, no ssh in, etc) at random times.  It ususally coincides
> with a sound file being played.

Have you examined the logfiles to see if any errors coincide with this
behavior? You say it "usually" coincides with a sound file being
played -- but not always?

Are you using Nautilus? I don't really use GNOME, but I seem to
recall having some issues with Nautilus when I did a review of Ximian
GNOME a few months back.

I did a quick search on Google and it seems you're not the only one
experiencing lockups with RH 7.2/GNOME -- but I couldn't find any
definitive cause in any of the posts that I ran across.

> Meanwhile when I run KDE 2.2.2, I have had it run seemingly on and on
> with no system lockups.
>
> Any ideas?

I don't want to risk a flame war, but it sounds like the problem
is GNOME. While GNOME has a lot of nifty features, it's been a little
less than stable when I've tried to use it. About every four to six
months I get curious and try it out for a few days -- invariably
I end up going back to KDE.

Take care,

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net