[CLUE-Tech] (In)Stability of X?

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Wed Mar 6 07:55:34 MST 2002

Thus spoke Mark Horning
> The only time I've experienced lockups that I can recall lately is when
> I had the
> newsreader pan running while burning CD's (Gnometoaster), netscape 6.2.1
> open, xmms playing, gkrellm going and a few Eterms here and there using
> Gnome with Sawfish. This was with Mandrake 8.1 with the stock kernel
> (2.4.8).  I think it had to do with the builtin USB and/or sound on the
> mother -
> board sharing IRQ's with the two SCSI cards I have (SIIG AP-40 and an
> Adaptec 2940U) the CD-RW is attached to the 2940 as the advansys driver for
> the SIIG see's the CD-RW but won't initialize it at boot :-( Since I'm now

This description tells me that you had kernel driver problems, not X
problems.  Just cause you used an X application to access those devices
doesn't mean it was X that caused the lockup.  This is one way the Unix world
differs from the Windows world.  For X to be at fault, you pretty much have
to have a problem with video only.  This changes, however, if you're using
framebuffer connected video drivers.

--
Michael J. Hammel           |
The Graphics Muse           |  If you can't be kind, at least have the decency