[CLUE-Tech] (In)Stability of X?

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at attbi.com
Wed Mar 6 21:16:03 MST 2002

On 03-06 09:03, Michael J. Hammel wrote:
> Thus spoke Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier
> > Are you using Nautilus? I don't really use GNOME, but I seem to
> > recall having some issues with Nautilus when I did a review of Ximian
> > GNOME a few months back.
>
> I disabled Nautilus on my system.  The alpha blending it did (to make
> antialiased displays) slowed my machine to a crawl.

Speaking of anti-aliasing, has anyone tried the Xft patch mentioned on
Slashdot today?

<snip>

> > I don't want to risk a flame war, but it sounds like the problem
> > is GNOME. While GNOME has a lot of nifty features, it's been a little
> > less than stable when I've tried to use it. About every four to six
> > months I get curious and try it out for a few days -- invariably
> > I end up going back to KDE.
>
> I'm completely the opposite.  GNOME runs great for me and KDE crawls and
> dies.  Fortunately, in the Linux world one has choices.

I'm somewhere in the middle - I run GNOME, but only on one server, and it's
rare I actually start up X on the server...but I haven't seen it seize up.
As I mentioned before, I run KDE on my main desktop, and it hasn't seized up
yet, either.

--
Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at attbi.com Yahoo:seanleblancathome
ICQ:138565743 MSN:seanleblancathome AIM:sleblancathome