[CLUE-Tech] Is there a doctor in the house?

Todd A. Gibson tgibson at augustcouncil.com
Fri Mar 8 08:40:08 MST 2002

Every few weeks, these 3 entries appear in my logs:
Feb 16 10:48:22 onefish netfs: Unmounting NFS filesystems:  succeeded
Feb 16 10:48:24 onefish dhcpd: receive_packet failed on eth0: Network is
down
Feb 16 10:48:25 onefish network: Shutting down interface eth0:
succeeded

It's a 6 year old dell box.

I suspect a power problem because the power light blinks slowly on and
off when it happens.  Perhaps a dying power supply?  I don't know
because I've never had a power supply die before and don't know what the
symptoms are.  The box is hooked up to an UPS.

Up to now, I haven't had a console/keyboard hooked up to the machine so
I've had to cycle the power to bring it back up.  As of this AM, I am
now leaving a console/keyboard hooked up to it to see if I can talk to
the machine via the console the next time it happens.

So, my lack of planning on the console aside, does the slowly blinking
power light ring any bells for anyone, or jibe with the theory of a
jittery power supply?

Thanks,
-TAG