[CLUE-Tech] CLUE: DVD Drive

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Sun Mar 10 17:30:42 MST 2002

* Richard Knechtel (rknech at pcisys.net) wrote:
> I am looking at getting a DVD-ROM drive for my system. I have been looking
> at the Toshiba SD-M1612. (For $56.00) not a bad price. It has the
> capability to read DVD-RAM discs as well. it is a 16X/40X drive. It also
> can be flashed to be region free :^)   . I am wondering if anyone knows how
> good a drive this is. I read some info on it but haven't been able to find
> out if it will work with Linux or not.  Or does someone have a
> recomendation on a good DVD drive that is Linux compatable.  Falshable to
> region free would be nice. :^)

I have only one DVD drive, which I bought many moons ago, and have only
recently used it in Linux.  It identifies itself as DVDROM 10X, has no
serial, or model number, and seems to be 100% generic.  However, it works
flawlessly.  I suspect that the DVD drive you want is fairly standard, and will
work fine with Linux, but don't know for sure.  Toshiba is a big
name, though, so I bet your choice is fine.  I wonder if my drive
could be made region free, hmm...

HTH,

Tim