[CLUE-Tech] newbie question about libgtk

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Tue Mar 12 09:08:25 MST 2002

Thus spoke Charlie Oriez
> a number of routines, including but not limited to the harddrake-text
> routine in my boot, try to use  /usr/lib/libgtk-1.2.so.0 which is a
> symbolic link to libgtk-1.2.so.0.9.1, also in /usr/lib
>
> I persist in getting command not found messages, and the programs
> which reference this are failing to run.

"command not found" has nothing to do with libraries.  It means the command
you're trying to run is not in your path or is not executable. Is that really the
message you're getting?  What commands are you trying to run?

> I checked the obvious:
>
> /usr/lib is in my $PATH

/usr/lib doesn't need to be in your PATH.  The things under /usr/lib
(usually) are not executable programs.  They are libraries that programs use.
The libraries (including gtk-1.2) need to be accessible from the loader,
which is configured using /etc/ld.so.conf and the command ldconfig.  HOWEVER,
/usr/lib should already be listed in that file (else you couldn't do much on
your system) and you shouldn't have to make any changes in this file or mess
with ldconfig.

> even when executing in a console with /usr/lib as my PWD, the exec
> still cant find trhe command to execute

Again, this has nothing to do with the libraries under /usr/lib.  It has to
do with the command either not being in one of the directories listed in your
$PATH environment variable or the command doesn't have execute permissions.

--
Michael J. Hammel                               The Graphics Muse
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                      http://www.graphics-muse.com