[CLUE-Tech] Sending mail using an IP address?

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Tue Mar 19 15:10:43 MST 2002

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002 14:19:19 -0700
Charlie Oriez <coriez at oriez.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday 19 March 2002 12:52, Jed S. Baer gave up the right to
> remain silent by saying:
>
> > Due to some dns resolution problems, I tried sending an e-mail
> > directly to a mail server I identified using a dns mtx query, i.e.
> > theperson at n.n.n.n
<snip>
> I successfully send a test message to myself using the address
> coriez@[207.174.251.1] while bouncing when I used the IPA without the
> [ ]  However, the mail server I sent from replaced [207.174.251.1]
> with ra.nilenet.com (the correct domain for that IPA) in the header,
> so given your stated reason it may not work for you.  Give it a try
> with the brackets

I tried this, and it successfully went to the mail server, but bounced
with an unknown recipient. This is actually what I would expect, if a
company is supplying mail service for multiple domains - it doesn't
recognize who the recipient is without a domain reference in the address.
I imagine in your case, the MTA isn't set up that way.

However, it does show that mail (errr, um, SMTP via most MTAs) doesn't
absolutely require a domain name. I see no evidence in the bounce message
that there was any reverse-lookup substitiution of the server name for the
IPA.

Thanks, Charlie, and Kevin.
--
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men,
 undergo the fatigue of supporting it."