[CLUE-Tech] Adding A Second Processor

Chris K. Chew chris at fenetics.com
Tue Mar 19 19:31:02 MST 2002

A few weeks ago I asked if there were tips when adding a second processor.
I promised that I would report how it went.

The redhat installer choose the uni-processor kernel because only one
processor was found even thought the mobo was dual-capable.  As such, we
recompiled the kernel and included support for SMP.  FYI, upgrading the
kernel is a standard thing we do to every install, and the kernel that comes
with RH 7.2 is already considered very old and buggy.  The new kernel loaded
just fine with SMP and one processor, and even gave a syslog message saying
"Warning, only one processor found...".  When the second one came in the
mail, we shutdown -h, installed the processor, and rebooted.  The kernel was
happy, /proc/cpuinfo was good, and all of our critical applications
(previously compiled with one proc) ran evenly across the two processors.
These include:

Apache
MySQL
SSH (sftp)

So, the only thing that was necessary was recompiling the kernel with SMP
support, and the great kernel hackers took care of the rest.  This was much
easier than adding a second proc to my win2k box!

Thanks for the help,

Chris