[CLUE-Tech] cdparanoia and ripping CDs with Linux

Adam Bultman adamb at glaven.org
Tue Mar 19 19:52:06 MST 2002

Well, it's easily put this way.  IN it's native format, the songs on the
CD are like wavs (are they wavs?).  huge.  Super-ultra-high-quality, but
massively huge.  You'd easily eat up an entire hard drive with not near as
many songs as you would have had if you had encoded them. If you are still
worried about quality, you can just encode them at a high bitrate.  I use
grip and have oggenc encode the files at 192kbits.  The file sizes are
larger than your standard 128kbit MP3, but then, you've got higher
quality.  I certainly recommend encoding in one form or another.  At work,
I've got 3000 some odd MP3s from the collective CDs of employees.  There's
NO way I could have housed that many if they were in wav format.

Anyway, encoding is good, and it gives your box something to do in the
meantime.

Adam

--
Adam Bultman