[CLUE-Tech] cdparanoia and ripping CDs with Linux

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Tue Mar 19 22:27:47 MST 2002

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002 21:56:58 -0700
"Jed S. Baer" <thag at frii.com> wrote:

> > Super-ultra-high-quality
>
> It's extremely debatable whether CD audio could be called "Super-Ultra"
> high quality. In fact, "adequate" would be better. Sampling always omits
> data. There are comb filtering effects which must be dealt with via
> filtering. There are also limits to how much data can be stored in
> 16bits sampled at 44.1Khz.
<snip>
Oh, BTW, it's been too long since I followed any of the "vinyl"
aficiaonado stuff, so that's about all I can say on the subject. It's
maybe even a bigger debate (analog vs. digital) than, say, KDE vs. Gnome.
The flip side of the argument was well presented a while back in an issue
of "The Sensible Sound" - which is a nice mag, BTW, if  you're into audio.
(Unless you're waaaaay out on the fringe, in which case you're probably
reading "The Audiophile Voice".

Yeah, I know. This is pretty OT. Sorry.
--
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men,
 undergo the fatigue of supporting it."