[CLUE-Tech] cdparanoia and ripping CDs with Linux

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Tue Mar 19 23:30:20 MST 2002

* Jed S. Baer (thag at frii.com) wrote:
> Oops. I meant 256k/channel. I found the artifacts at 128 to be too
> distracting. It's also dependent upon the source material. I haven't found
> Sarah Brightman to be listenable at all in an MP3.

I have you tried variable bit rate?  I find this really helps with lame.
It tries to maintain a certain rate, but increases the bit rate when the
music is complicated, and reduces it when the music is simple.  I have
found it makes a difference for music marked by great contrasts (say
classical, where some of it is very silent, some very loud, many
voices, single voices).  For lame, I use:

lame -h -m j --abr 192

and am happy with the compromise between size and quality.

HTH,

Tim