[CLUE-Tech] 'Scuse me, but why did the RH7.2 upgrade change my root password.

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Sat Mar 23 18:16:32 MST 2002

"Jed S. Baer" wrote:

[...]

> [scratching head] I know I have how to change it written down somewhere.

If you can boot another system easily (from floppy, or get a shell from your
RH install disks), you can mount your root partition and edit its /etc/passwd
(or shadow) to remove the root password.

You can also type init=/bin/bash at the boot prompt and you'll get bash
instead of init (sort of like being in single user mode).  Remount / to be rw
and then edit /etc/passwd.