[CLUE-Tech] 'Scuse me, but why did the RH7.2 upgrade change my root password.

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Sat Mar 23 19:27:43 MST 2002

"Jed S. Baer" wrote:

[...]

> I'm somewhat more aggravated now, as I'm discovering certain services
> won't start, cuz root isn't the only thing in my passwd/group settings it
> went and munged. Why can't RedHat figure that maybe I made changes to my
> system cuz I wanted it that way? Does SuSe do stupid stuff like this?

I think that SuSE does not.  I noticed in some config files warnings that if
I edited them SuSE would detect the changes by md5 and not upgrade them.
There are some "approved" places to make changes and then glue to work them
into the live config files.  Sometimes it seems there's a utility to run to
generate configs and sometimes the editable files are just included into the
master configs.

That's one thing I don't like about distros.  I added some stuff to an apache
server recently.  Instead of editing httpd.conf to put in the needed bits, I
had to figure out how SuSE wanted me to do it.  Sigh.

I like Debian a little better.  It lets you change the configs yourself and
then when upgrading it shows you diffs of what you had and what changes it
wants to make so you can decide how you want it to proceed.  But I haven't
used that on a serious system so it may not work so well.