[CLUE-Tech] 'Scuse me, but why did the RH7.2 upgrade change my root password.

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 23 19:06:21 MST 2002

On Sat, 23 Mar 2002, Jed S. Baer wrote:

> I'm somewhat more aggravated now, as I'm discovering certain services
> won't start, cuz root isn't the only thing in my passwd/group settings it
> went and munged. Why can't RedHat figure that maybe I made changes to my
> system cuz I wanted it that way? Does SuSe do stupid stuff like this?

I don't know if SuSE does it to that extent, but yes. That's
the trade-off for the Wizard way of doing things -- SuSE's YaST2
will make changes to all the files it deals with unless you
specifically tell it not to. If you open any of the config
files, you should see a comment that says "Do not manually edit
this file" or something like that.

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
http://www.DissociatedPress.net/
"Liberty's too precious a thing to be buried in books... Men
should hold it up in front of them every single day of their lives
and say: I'm free to think and to speak. My ancestors couldn't, I
can, and my children will. Boys ought to grow up remembering that."
"Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" -- James Stewart