[CLUE-Tech] OT: DSL QoS Revisited

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Sat Mar 23 21:11:07 MST 2002

Randy Arabie wrote:

> I've had my Qwest DSL service for almost three months now.  My
> opinion is the service is adequate, but not as reliable as AT&T
> Broadband was for me.
>
> I've noted frequent drops in my PPP link to my upstream provider.
> Initially I attempted to review the logs in my Cisco 678, but was
> dissappointed to find it only stores 40 entries.  I've recently
> configured it so use syslog on one of my *nix boxen and have captured
> a few days events.

I'm not using syslog, so I don't have much data.  Seems I get a PPP Down about twice a day.  There seems to be a
pattern, but not a clear one.  So, I get similar behavior but not as often as you are.

A few weeks ago I noticed that whenever I went to get mail I had to wait for the link to come up.  I think that
if the link goes down, the modem will try to reconnect (if you set it that way, the default).  It probably gives
up after a bit, but tries again if there is traffic to deliver.  So it's a little like dial on demand.

I was worried that would cause trouble running a server on my link, but it seems not to.  Haven't tested
thoroughly though.

The longest down time I have is 13.5 hours.  But that seems to be during a time I wasn't using the network
anyway - as I said, trying to send seems to cause the link to come up.

I don't know why DSL behaves this way but since there are 2 layers of providers it doesn't surprise me.  So far
though it isn't a concern for me.