[CLUE-Tech] Junkbuster can't bind 127.0.0.1:8000

Collins erichey2 at attbi.com
Fri Mar 22 09:15:08 MST 2002

On Sat, 23 Mar 2002 23:12:11 -0700 "Jed S. Baer" <thag at frii.com> wrote:
> Greetings folks.
>
> Yes, it's the continuing saga of fixing stuff broken by upgrading to
> RH7.2 from RH71. Sorry for the whining, but wow, this just blows my
> mind.
>
> I was running Junkbuster as user junkbust. Here's the current line
> from/etc/passwd:  junkbust:x:73:73:Internet Junkbuster:/:
> (don't know what was there before for junkbuster, except it was
> definitely user/group 73/73).
>
> I had it running briefly, but after rebooting (some kernel issues to
> straighten out), it refuses to run when started from the init.d
> script, or from the command line as root. Here's what it's complaining
> about:
>
>   /usr/sbin/junkbuster: can't bind 127.0.0.1:8000: Cannot assign
>   requested address There may be another junkbuster or some other
>   proxy running on port 8000
>
> Except, there isn't, AFAICT. Used fuser and lsof to look for programs
> on that port.
>
> Any ideas?

Just my $.02.  Not a  solution to your specific problem, but the very
best solution (tm), is to undergo a little bit of pain and put up a
gentoo system.  Just one of the many benefits is the fact that updates
don't change config and other files in /etc without external action by
you, i.e. your custom settings don't change on the fly.
--
Collins Richey - Denver Area - WWTLRD?
Gentoo_rc6-15 2.4.17 - xfce + sylpheed + mozilla