[CLUE-Tech] Confused about Samba

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Sun Mar 24 13:54:45 MST 2002

Hi, folks--

I am having trouble getting started with Samba. All I want to do right
now is set up file and printer sharing on my home network. Most of the
time there are two (2) machines on the network -- my Linux desktop PC,
and my wife's Win98 box. I also have 2 Linux laptops that are often
connected to the network, though rarely at the same time. The machines
are connected to an ethernet hub, which in turn is connected to my
DSL router. DHCP is provided by the DSL router -- and I realize this
could be causing some of the trouble I am having, but I'm trying to
conserve energy, so I don't want to run my computer 24-7 unless there
is really a compelling reason to do so.

So anyway, I don't get it. I have been trying to read the Samba docs,
but most of them seem to assume you are running in an NT domain, and
those that don't seem to assume you understand terms like 'master
browser' -- and know whether you need one or not. All of them assume
that you have some understanding of which technical terms apply to
your situation. Unfortunately, I don't. I'm happy to read documentation,
but I would like to start with a few hints as to what services/config
parameters/etc. are relevant to my simple needs.

Can anybody help clear the fog?
--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA