[CLUE-Tech] Anybody using GnuPG (with Sylpheed)?

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Thu Mar 28 16:16:27 MST 2002

Greetings.

Inspired by the latest Slashdot story on the topic, and feeling bored, I
decided to play around with encryption. Particularly, sending encrypted
e-mail. I'm using Sylpheed 0.7.4, and the FAQ states that all I have to do
is build it with --enable-gpgme and magically, the "privacy" tab will show
up.

So, after having a couple RPMs fail to install, I grabbed the gpgme and
GPA tarballs and installed them. GnuPG itself installed OK from RPM.
Rebuilt Sylpheed, and voila! - no privacy tab.

I can think of two possibilities:

1) I need gpgsm. Doubtful. I can't even find a tarball for it. Almost
nothing on the web or mailing list archives. I did find this comment
"gpgme works fine without gpgsm".

2) The privacy tab appears only for accounts created after gpgme is
enabled.

So, before I subscribed to the Sylpheed list. I figured I'd ask here. I
know there's at least one other Sylpheed user around.

I guess I ought to troll for some folks to sign my key as well. Guess that
means I should pick a keyserver. Well, one thing at a time, I suppose.

And does anybody know whether the following comment is just CYA, or
presents a genuine issue:

  "GPA is still work in progress, so don't expect
   that everything works and be careful when using
   production quality secret keys."
 - http://www.gnupg.org/gpa.html

IIRC, gpgme and Seahorse have similar disclaimers.

TIA for any tips, etc.

jed
--
Fight the CBDTPA: http://www.eff.org/alerts/20020322_eff_cbdtpa_alert.html

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men,
 undergo the fatigue of supporting it." - Thomas Paine